#!/usr/bin/vijay

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Migrating to Ubuntu

After 6 months of using debian, I am now migrating to Ubuntu Linux. I always wanted to keep my software at the bleeding edge, wanted to try all the latest features first. I've used many Linux distributions including Slackware, Redhat (7.2 - 9.0 ), Fedora, SuSE, Mandrake, Gentoo and Debian. I've been searching for a good one, which retains the taste of the original look and feel of the applications, instead of making them look more like their corporate branded Linuces. Redhat and SuSE linux look very different, they completely change the look and feel of the original software (GNOME and KDE) in the name of useability.

One more issue with these distributions is ability to keep up with the OSS release cycle. I've not yet seen Gnome 2.10 in Debian till now. So I thought its time to change. But during the past six months of usage, I've grown to be a big fan of Debian Linux, but I am frustrated with the old packages. Finally the debian current version is frozen. I hope to see faster release cycles in Debian.

So finally I am settling down to Ubuntu Linux, which is based on my favorite Debian Distro and has all the shiny, new softwares. I've even got 10 free CDs with warty release of Ubuntu. Just now I've installed it and I am blogging from it. I'll be upgrading it now to the latest 5.0.4 (hoary) relase.

BTW, check out photographs of weekend trip to Manasadevi Temple and Fun republic at Manimajra, Chandigarh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home