#!/usr/bin/vijay

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Linux on Laptop

Finally I managed to install the Debian GNU/Linux on our Laptop. It was really painful because, the laptop doesn't have the floppy drive and I donot have the Installation CDs, and one more challange was that the Laptop was running Windows Me (yuk!!). I already installed the Linux completely through network. But at that time my computer was running Window XP.

The problem with WinME is that it doesn't have the Real Dos Mode, so that the grubinstall program can get access to the Boot sector and modify it. So I installed FreeDOS and installed grub using FreeDOS and then the installation started off. And now Linux on Laptop :)

To my amazement, every piece of hardware has been detected by Linux successfully, including USB drives, touchpad, display hardware and even sound card. And Linux looks pretty good on the laptop.

It's a Celeron - 733 MHz- 112MB laptop with Debian GNU/Linux Sarge distribution.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home